Sunday Morning Teacher Wanted!
Beginning June 2 at the Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Upper Valley in Norwich, VT:
On Sundays from 9:45 to 12:45, I would like to hire an adult to lead a multi-age group of kids with assistance from a volunteer. Check out the program here.
• Follow a curriculum of gathering, opening circle, & activities. At about 11:25, the children will clean up and have closing circle with you – thereafter, it’s an hour of child care for those parents who have church meetings and responsibilities, then 15 minutes of cleanup.
• Provide safety & supervision in our beautiful Meetinghouse and grounds.
• Feel open to the religious part – for children it’s all about being kind to one another and to the Earth and observing simple ritual opening and closing. Unitarian Universalists believe with all our hearts that every free faith in the world has wisdom to share – including the wisdoms of science, Islam, atheism, neopaganism, Zoroastrianism, poetry, Christianity, indigenous faiths, Anansi stories, Buddhism, Judaism, …
• The summer program is a one-room schoolhouse caring for every age from tiny through middle school – and a very small number of children are expected each week. If you want this as only a summer job, that’s OK! Beginning in September, the position is cheerfully expandable to focus on the teacher’s best age group to work with – we run three or four different age-groups during the school year.
• Training & troubleshooting provided by the program director. There is also a chocolate stash.
This opportunity is great for someone ready to establish their credentials, try out teaching, and to meet thoughtful families who often need child care. It’s also ideal for the active person who loves stories and adventures, but perhaps your own grandchildren are far away and you just need some Young People time.
The ideal candidate is at least 18 years old, holds some kind of safety training and awareness (such as First Aid/CPR, Lifeguarding, or Babysitting certification), and must pass a background check for safety working with children. The ideal candidate will be a great role model of speaking truth with kindness, living authentically in a way that honors the Earth, and genuinely supporting our diverse kids from diverse families. They will have experience with kids, will enjoy exploring outdoors, will be able to invent games on the spot, will know that letting kids figure out their values is of tantamount importance.
I can’t wait to meet our new teacher! Reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Sparrow F. Alden, Credentialed Religious Educator
Unitarian Universalist Congregation of the Upper Valley