Social action and environmental justice are central to our individual and congregational spiritual practice, and this passion manifests itself in many ways. In our worship together and fellowship, we encourage each individual to serve the world in the ways that calls them and optimizes their talents. Further, as a group the UUCUV has been involved in many justice programs:
On the first Monday of every other month, the UUCUV prepares and serves dinner for more than 50 people at St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Wilder, Vt. The dinner is delivered under the auspices of LISTEN Community Services. To learn more about LISTEN dinners, contact Suzanne Simon through the office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every Sunday, the children collect food to donate to our neighbors at The Haven. The Children’s Garden on our property yields delicious fresh produce for the autumn LISTEN dinner listed above.
Many individuals or small groups of the UUCUV – including the Youth Group – privately sponsor the high-school education of individual students from our partner church in Mukhap, India.
Other activities include:
- Christmas caroling at nursing homes.
- Guest at Your Table of the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee
- Holiday Cards for UUCUV ill and elderly (a children’s initiative).
- Mittens on the Tree: Christmas gifts and clothing for children and adults through the LISTEN Center (a children’s initiative).
- Pods for the Pulpit. Holiday craft fair. One-half of profits ($21,000 in last five years alone) to: ACORN, COVER, Doctors Without Borders, Good Neighbor Health Clinic, Habitat for Humanity, the Haven, Headrest, LISTEN, Red Logan Dental Clinic, Ten Bricks Adult Shelter, VNA/Hospice, UV Substance Abuse Foundation, Water for Humanity, Willow Grove Women’s Shelter, WISE.
- Protests and demonstrations about the Iraq War
- Protests and demonstrations about Offshore drilling (with SERG and Catamount Earth Institute)
- Social Responsibility monetary donations of more than $25,000 since 2001 to: Black Lives UU, Camilla’s Garden, Dismas House, The Family Place, Global Resources LLC, Good Beginnings, Japan Relief Fund, Katrina Relief Fund, Lebanon United Methodist Church, Living Traditions Foundation, Planned Parenthood, SPARK!, UU Partner Church Council, Willing Hands, WISE
- Spirit-in-Nature Path. Constructed with Upper Valley Trails Alliance and DHMC as public-access, recreation, and fitness resource.
- Templeton Court Summer Lunches for Children.
- United Valley Interfaith Project.
- Vermont/Catamount Earth Institute courses on sustainable living.